(click on a thumbnail photo or title
to go to that
edmonton yukon & pacific
The Edmonton Yukon & Pacific was named after the first railway built in Edmonton.
It began on the south side in 1902 and by 1906 crossed the river and ran as far west as 123 St. and Stony Plain Road. The EY & P Railroad operated passenger trains until 1926 and finally ceased all operations in 1951. The track was still still as a spur line until the early 1970s.
The Fort Edmonton Park ride is 2.5 miles and has two main stops; at the Train Station entrance to the park and at the Fort. The train arrived in Edmonton in 1977 and began service in 1978.
The first passengers had to pay to ride the train, but now the train rides are free and included in the park admission fee.